We’ve been working with a strong, core group of employers in the city to drive change and reduce in-work poverty. In 2019, we were formally recognised by the Living Wage Foundation for our efforts to make Bristol a Living Wage City. Bristol was one of the first UK cities to achieve this acknowledgement.
In the first three years of the Bristol Living Wage City initiative (Dec 2019 to Dec 2022) we have:
- Uplifted almost 4,000 people on to the real Living Wage
- Doubled the number of accredited Living Wage employers in Bristol to around 400, 220 of which are headquartered in the city
- Increased the number of people working for real Living Wage accredited employers to 43,000
In January 2023, we set new targets to be achieved by December 2025. These are to:
- Increase the numbers of real Living Wage accredited employers headquartered in Bristol by a further 120
- Uplift the wages of 1,200 more employees in Bristol to at least the real Living Wage
- Ensure 12,000 additional people are working for real Living Wage accredited employers in the city.